Thursday, February 25, 2010

Should I install new vinyl siding or paint existing aluminum siding.?

My colonial house was built in 1966 and has aluminum siding. I was was shocked at some recent quotes to paint the exterior of the house ($4000). I hate to put that much money into something that doesn't really add any value. It got me thinking that I should consider re-siding the house instead (shingles, vinyl siding?). That said:





1) How is Aluminum as a siding. Is this something that is a considered a good thing (more durable???). More specifically, is a move to premium vinyl siding a step up or a step down.





2) ) If I go through the trouble of removing the aluminum siding, should I consider any other projects (are there any house wraps that can help with insulation or things like that)????





3) What costs are involved with vinyl siding. As in, when the Home Depot guy comes for an estimate, what is he going to try to rope me into and should I bite?





Many thanksShould I install new vinyl siding or paint existing aluminum siding.?
I would paint the aluminum siding if I were you, vinyl will eventually fade, and it expands and contracts in the weather changes.


I have painted aluminum siding and if you choose a good paint it holds up well, but will eventually need to be repainted, but vinyl siding when it fades will also need repainted to look nice. A good oil base paint will hold up better than latex. It is a big task but well worth it and cheaper than vinyl siding. If you are handy at all you can do the repainting yourself and save a bundle. I would suggest power washing the siding first if you are going to paint it. Good LuckShould I install new vinyl siding or paint existing aluminum siding.?
i was in the same dilema. but i chose to repaint the aluminum siding. the paint costed about 600 dollars. luckly i knew to painters and there was no labor charge. but here are some thoughts: i remodel alot of homes and resell for profit. i have found if you find self-employed painters etc you can get a good deal if you pay cash and they do it on the side between their big paying jobs. also barter!!! i have had lots of hired people exchange their services for something that i had or for something i could do for them and this way everybody comes out ahead. example my spouse is a heavy machine operator and we had an electrician come in and do wiring and then my spouse went to his house and dug a hole for a foundation. everybody came out ahead and their was no cost only time and labor. also really check around for prices and talk to painters when you see them painting elsewhere (everybody always talks when it comes to money) plus ask around (everybody always knows somebody that does something on the side) and you can get real good deals IN OTHER WORDS LEARN HOW TO HUSSLE
I am not sure. I just wanted to thank you for showing me another reason why not to buy my own house. My wife has asked me for 10 years to do it and each time some one comes up with a maintenance problem I get to show it to her. Thanks again
In order:





1) Aluminum siding is generally more durable than vinyl. However, if you paint it once, you will have to keep painting it, and it's hard to get the paint to adhere.





2) Yes, you can wrap your house in Tyvek if you strip the siding, and it will improve insulation somewhat.





3) If you go with vinyl siding, two things to keep in mind: it is noisy in the wind, particularly the lower grades, and no matter what the salesman tells you, the color WILL fade over time.





If you're going to the trouble of having your house stripped and re-sided, consider Hardi Plank. It looks like wood siding but it is actually a kind of cement board. You do need to paint it but not very frequently, because it is less porous and more thermally stable than wood and the paint hangs on longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment